latenitewithstede at gmail dot com || @StedeUS on Twitter || Subscribe with RSS

Monday, August 12, 2013

Dealing With Changes

Much to my own surprise, TSM 2.0 went live at the end of last week.  I hadn't expected it to happen so soon.  I mean - I knew that it had been in beta awhile, but I supposed I was counting on Sapu & company to drag ass for a little while longer.

When it comes to goldmaking, I'm a creature of habit.  I set a framework, and I tweak it until it's a finely tuned operation that requires minimal effort.  It's just how I work.  Different folks work - differently.  We all encounter changes, and we all deal with them differently.  With the launch of TSM 2.0, we also are seeing the sunset of TSM 1.X and future legacy support. 

That's right, ladies and gents, the next add-on breaking patch will turn the lights off on the TSM 1.X you've grown to love, permanently.  I've been struggling with it over the weekend - or what little part of the weekend I wasn't working overtime or trying to build a computer from bad parts (personal stars, sorry - bare with me).  And I say "struggling" because it is, in many ways, radically different from TSM 1.X.

And I could sit here and I could hate.  I could gush.  I could rollback.  I could drink the kool-aid and counter-hate on the haters in irc and the forums.  I could.  I had TSM 1.X running great, with only a couple complaints.  But that's not how I am, I guess.

The mind of a proper goblin just doesn't think of things as 'right' or 'wrong'.  There isn't hate.  There isn't love.  There is risk and there is profit.  And the risk involved in updating is negligible to the profit I'll gain from doing so. 

This rule doesn't stop at crotchety old goldmakers and add-ons though.  It extends to how you deal with competition, how you forge trade alliances, and how you pay farmers.  That's a topic I could devote another entire post to (in the works), though, so let's stick with changes - in the game design, in the greater wow economy, and in our own markets.

It's as easy to resist change as it is to embrace it, believe it or not.  It's been said that in history, revolutions often started as the situation was starting to change for the better.  Often enough, our response to change is simply a reflection of our satisfaction with the status quo.  And to be sure, there's enough depth in many server's economies to keep us busy with our current set of add-ons, with our current competitors, and with our current set of available crafts.

Whatever our reaction, it's natural to have one.  But it's difficult to make unbiased decisions and respond to these changes in a positive way, if we can't check those initial reactions.  I'll win no hearts today by saying there's things I like about TSM2.0 and things I don't like about TSM2.0.  Straddling a fence isn't something that folks seem to hold in high esteem.

But it does allow me to have productive conversations with the developers about future improvements to the add-on.  It grants a clarity that helps me look past frustrations for solutions and enjoy the small triumphs that come with the new featureset.  Not all changes we deal with are such a nicely mixed bag though - some of them can just suck.

If you're a top goblin on a smaller server, then the idea of connected realms may repulse you.  You may not see any silver lining about it.  And that's fine.  Goldmaking isn't gonna be all flowers and sausages all the time.  But each change brings with it an opportunity.  Moving to connected realms could open up transmog, flipping, targetted posting, and many other opportunities.  And rest assured that all folks have some aversion to change - to a varying degree.  Being more flexible can turn out to be a great quality when they throw in the towel and let you seize a greater market share.

But seeing that requires a lucidity that's able to override those initial feelings of elation or frustration.  Sometimes that takes time.  For me, I think I'll adjust to everything over the next few days.  I may even take a break and do other things.  You're different; so you may handle it differently.  So long as we're both thinking of "how can I make gold from this" though, we'll both be fine.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my own start as a goblin. I came in during glyphmas, completely unprepared. No stockpile, not ready for the ink changes, very little capital.

    While everyone else was abandoning ship in frustration, guess who made out like a bandit?

    At the end of the day, change is inevitable. If you can't find a way to deal with it, you'll far further and further behind.

    Is TSM 2.0 perfect? Of course not. But a) it's what we've got and b) it's got a lot of really great features that definitely make the inconveniences worth it.

    Now, time to start building a wishlist for TSM 3.0...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm continually amazed at how emotionally attached people get to an add-on. Even some of the Wind Traders/admins on the Consortium get into that behaviour. I'm not talking about you, Stede, but a lot are guilty of this.

    ReplyDelete