latenitewithstede at gmail dot com || @StedeUS on Twitter || Subscribe with RSS

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Do You Have Room for One More?

Occasionally I'll make posts outside of my normal schedule like this.  They might not talk much about goldmaking, though.

When I first started actually putting pen to paper on this project, I had a lot to think about.  I've tried blogging before - twice.  Neither lasted a year.  The first time, I wanted to do something that showed folks goldmaking in a different light.  The second time, I wanted to give weekly mashup reviews of other blogs.

That first one ended when I ran out of cool things to talk about over a slow summer - kind of like this one (in terms of WoW, at least).  It also seemed like folks still liked reading and trying things that - at the time - I felt were very stale.  One-off tips that worked, in theory, and then promptly collapsed under their own weight once everyone started using them.  Now, I realize those tips are like fashion - they cycle in & out of style / viability with the changing seasons.  But back then, their popularity was annoying.

The second one ended when I realized that folks will sometimes make puff-posts one week, and quality posts another week.  It's tough to be critical of folks that you've grown to enjoy.

This time, it's just an outlet that I can explore on my own terms.  Most nights I spend on Skype chatting into the wee hours with fellow goldmakers over everything from the golden days of vanilla to international politics to, of course, goldmaking.  I already spend a great deal of my free time just chatting about this stuff.  I already enjoy podcasting.

What I've come realize is that most viewers want to be entertained while being enlightened - or maybe even vice versa (which is A-OK with me).  The WoW goldmaking blogosphere has changed since I last was involved in it.  There are a lot more new bloggers, new guides, and even new podcasts.  I really started noticing them all when I started thinking of starting this project a few months ago.

I wasn't sure if there'd be much room for me to start up Yet Another Blog / Podcast.  At the end of the day though, I decided to go for it because even if nothing comes of it, I know I'm going to enjoy having my own space. 


2 comments:

  1. As someone who (tries) to keep up on what going on in the gold-making blog and podcast space I too have noticed a recent blossoming of gold-making podcasts in the last few months.

    I'm not sure where it came from all of a sudden because it was years of just a few gold-making podcasts being around.

    All that said I don't think it's a bad thing at all for the gold-making podcast space to expand. Just as gold-makinf blogging has grown over the last few years I think gold-making podcasts will as well.

    Having more and more people share their own gold-making voice will likely turn out to be good for everyone.

    When your new show reaches 3+ episodes be sure to let me know so I can add it to The Directory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim! I really appreciate that! I'm hoping some of my other stuff slows down soon and I can start working my way through enjoying all the podcasts in your Directory.

      Delete